|Research:||atomic-scale characterization of high-performance|
materials, internal interfaces and phase
transformations by atom-probe tomography.
|Education:||Dr. rer. nat, Universität Göttingen, Germany|
Diploma, Universität Göttingen, Germany
|Publications:||Publications by Isheim in our database|
Dr. Dieter Isheim
Materials Science and Engineering
2220 North Campus Drive
Evanston, IL 60208
Email: isheim at northwestern.edu
Dieter Isheim's research reveals the inner structure and local chemical and isotopic composition of materials on an atomic scale based on which an understanding of the properties of these materials can be developed. Based on this knowledge, the properties of these materials can be improved by controlling the structure by optimizing processing or synthesis steps. Dr. Isheim is a Research Associate Professor at the Materials Science Department and manages Northwestern University's center for atom-probe tomography (NUCAPT).
1. N. Sridharan, D. Isheim, D.N. Seidman, S. S. Babu, "Colossal supersaturation of oxygen at the iron-aluminum interfaces fabricated using solid state welding", accepted for publication in Scripta Materialia, Nov 29, 2016.
2. J. Coakley, A. Radecka, D. Dye, H. J. Stone, D. Isheim, D. N. Seidman, “Microstructural Evolution in a Superelastic Metastable Beta-Ti Alloy”, accepted for publication in Scripta Materialia, Sep 27, 2016.
3. Y. W. Jiang, J. L. Carvalho-de-Souza, R. C. S. Wong, Z. Q. Luo, D. Isheim, X. B. Zuo, A. W. Nicholls, I. W. Jung, D.-J. Liu, Y. Wang, V. De Andrade, X. H. Xiao, L. Navrazhnykh, D. N. Seidman, F. Bezanilla, B. Z. Tian, “Heterogeneous and compliant silicon-based mesostructures for phospholipid-supported transient bioelectric devices”, Nature Materials, pulished online June 27, 2016, http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nmat4673.
4. S. Sarker, D. Chandra, M. Hirscher, M. Dolan, D. Isheim, J. Wermer, D. Viano, M. Baricco, T. J. Udovic, D. Grant, O. Palumbo, A. Paolone, R. Cantelli, “Developments in the Ni–Nb–Zr amorphous alloy membranes”, Applied Physics A 122:168 pp. 1-9, 2016.
5. N. Nagasako, R. Asahi, D. Isheim, D. N. Seidman, S. Kuramoto, T. Furuta, “Microscopic study of gum-metal alloys: A role of trace oxygen for dislocation-free deformation”, Acta Materialia 105, 347-354, 2016.
6. O. Moutanabbir, D. Isheim, Z. Mao, and D. N. Seidman, "Evidence of Sub-10 nm Aluminum-Oxygen Precipitates in Silicon", Nanotechnology, 27, 205706, p. 1-7, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/0957-4484/27/20/205706, 2016.
7. O. N. Senkov, D. Isheim, D. N. Seidman, A. L. Pilchak, “Development of a Refractory High Entropy Superalloy,” Entropy 18, 102, 2016.
8. J. Coakley, A. Radecka, D. Dye, P. Bagot, H. Stone, D. N. Seidman, D. Isheim, “Omega and Alpha Phase Formation in the Beta-Ti Alloy Ti-5Al-5Mo-5V-3Cr: Microstructural Evolution and the Role of Oxygen”, Philosophical Magazine Letters, 96, 416-424, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09500839.2016.1242877, 2016.
9. S. Mukherjee, H. Watanabe, D. Isheim, D. N. Seidman, and O. Moutanabbir, “Laser-assisted field evaporation and three-dimensional atom-by-atom mapping of nanoscale diamond isotopic homojunctions”, Nano Letters 16(2), 1335-1344, 2016, http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.nanolett.5b04728.
10. D. Jain, D. Isheim, A. H. Hunter and D. N. Seidman, “Multicomponent High-Strength Low-Alloy Steel precipitation-strengthened by sub-nanometric Cu precipitates and M2C carbides” Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A 47A, 3860-3872, 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11661-016-3569-5.
11. M. I. Hartshorne, C. McCormick, M. Schmidt, P. Novotny, D. Isheim, D. N. Seidman, M. L. Taheri, “Analysis of a new high toughness ultra-high strength martensitic steel by transmission electron microscopy and atom probe tomography”, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, 47A, 1517-1528, 2016.
12. D. R. Vissers, D. Isheim, Z. Chen, C. Zhan, J. Lu, and K. Amine, "Understanding Atomic Scale Phenomena within the Surface Layer of a Long-term Cycled 5V Spinel Electrode," Nano Energy 19, 291-306, 2016.
13. M. Kapoor, D. Isheim, S. Vaynman, M.E. Fine, and Y.-W. Chung, “Effects of increased alloying element content on NiAl-type precipitate formation, loading rate sensitivity, and ductility of Cu- and NiAl-precipitation-strengthened ferritic steels,” Acta materialia, 104,166-171, 2016.
14. S. Antonov, D. Isheim, D. N. Seidman, E. Sun, R. Helmink, S. Tin, “γ’ Phase Instabilities in High-Refractory Content γ-γ’ Ni-base Superalloys” manuscript submitted for publication in “Superalloys 2016” - proceedings of the 13th International Symposium on Superalloys, September 11-15, 2016, Seven Springs, Pennsylvania, USA.
15. J. B. Lewis, D. Isheim, C. Floss, T. L. Daulton, D. N. Seidman, “Correlated Atom-probe Tomography and Transmission Electron Microscopy of Meteoritic Nanodiamonds”, Proceedings of the Microscopy and Microanalysis conference, July 24-28, 2016, Columbus, OH.
16. D. Isheim, J. Coakley, A. Radecka, D. Dye, T.J. Prosa, Y. Chen, P.A.J. Bagot and D.N. Seidman, “Atom-Probe Tomography: Detection Efficiency and Resolution of Nanometer-Scale Precipitates in a Ti-5553 Alloy”, Proceedings of the Microscopy and Microanalysis conference, July 24-28, 2016, Columbus, OH.
17. J. B. Lewis, D. Isheim, C. Floss, T. L. Daulton, D. N. Seidman, “Analysis of Allende Nanodiamond Residue by Correated Transmission Electron Microscopy and Atom-Probe Tomography”, Extended abstract, Proceedings of the 47th Lunar & Planetary Science Conference 2016, March, 21-25, 2016, The Woodlands, TX.